Under the cut is a Writing Guide on how to play a bitchy character.
- The first thing you need to understand about your character is why they are bitchy. There can be many reasons for this, for example; they come from a rich family and are stuck up, they come from a poor family and hate rich people, they feel they are more intelligent than others, they were abused as a child so keep a distance, or simply because it’s their nature to cause distress in others.
- My second point would be what type of bitch you want the character to be. They could be the stereotypical ‘Mean Girls’ bitch like Regina George- constantly putting people and down and generally acting like they’re better than everyone else. Then there’s the less common ‘Intelligent Bitch’- these bitches will use their above average IQ as a way to belittle people and make them feel worthless. They may not do this on purpose, but it can be quite upsetting when someone is constantly correcting you. Another type is the Quiet Bitch- who silently judges everyone from afar and will manipulate people into doing things for them using sympathy as their weapon: “Oh, poor me… Do this for me to make me happy?”
- Then you need to decide how they would react to people in certain situations. If someone talks to them, do they reply sarcastically? Or outright rudely? Or are they nice to their face and then bitch about them behind their back?
- You character might have a bitchy catchphrase like Regina George- “Shut up!” or “Oh, that’s a cute bracelet. […] That was the ugliest effing bracelet I’ve ever seen.”, or like the Van Buren sisters from TMPGIS- “Byeee!”, “You stupid fucking abortion.” or “Do you know who the fuck you’re talking to?”. Just generally something that makes their speech stand out.
- Furthermore- this is important- your character won’t be a bitch to everyone. They will have a friend or partner who they are genuinely nice to and care about, remember that.
- My final, most important point- bitches have weaknesses. They have insecurities and soft-spots like everyone else. While some bitches might use these to add fuel to their fire of bitchiness, someone could say the wrong thing and their tough exterior could be broken and they might be left as a blubbering mess on the floor, crying like everyone else in the world.
Hope that helps!